Continuation Medical Lectures and Guest Speakers
See below for listing
of our additional medical lectures and guest speakers. These lectures are not part of the ZG KEY
NOTE:After clicking to view the lectures below, you will be
prompted for a user name and password. The user name is zghealth. Use the
password that Mary Jane Ganey (MJGaney@zghealth.com)
e-mailed to you.
Strength Training for Safety and Efficacy Taught by some of our very own ZG Trainers and ZG Key Medical Staff (Ashley Guerieri, Head of our Exercise Science Dept., Morgen Hellams, ZG Trainer and RN and Caroline Pascual, Trainer, RN and ZG Medical Coordinator). This very informative strength training lecture will cover not just the "hows" but the whys of strength training. This will be a great lecture for all of you as you transition into Continuation; especially for those fearful of increasing their reps or weight size. They'll answer questions such as "Will I bulk up if I increase weights," "I don't feel ready to increase strength training intensity," or "I'm afraid I'll get hurt in Continuation strength class." (We won't let that happen!). All Weight Management and Continuation members are always invited, but if you have any Continuation "fears," we highly encourage your attendance to this lecture.
Running Time (1 hr., 26 mins.)
Dr. Abey "C"’s of Anesthesia You will not want to miss tomorrows Continuation Lecture (Thur, March 21st). Our speaker Dr. Abey Albert is the newest physician to join the staff of Zacharias Ganey. You may have seen him attending lectures and even working out. Starting April 1st he will join our team in our mission of helping you improve your health and weight.
Dr. Albert joins us following a long successful career in Anesthesia. He shares a passion with ZG in helping people prevent many of the health issues that he has witnessed throughout his career. He is an expert in understanding the concerns of those about to undergo surgery and what you need to know before you are “put to sleep” . The topic is one that should be of interest to all and will be a great time to officially welcome Dr. Abey Albert. Click here for his full bio.
Running Time (1 hr., 43 mins.)
Early Detection and Prevention of Heart Disease This month's Continuation lecture, Healthy Hearts, is presented by Dr. Charles "Chuck" Zacharias, with Virginia Cardiovascular Specialists (and Madge and Mary Jane's brother)! It's a family affair. Dr. Zacharias will talk about prevention and early detection of heart disease. To read his complete bio click: Dr. Charles Zacharias Bio.
Running Time (1 hr., 03 mins.)
Understanding Hip and Knee Joint Disease Dr. Jason Hull from Tuckahoe Orthopedics will be discussing Prevention and Treatment of Hip and Knee Joint Disease with specific emphasis on Arthritis. Dr. Hull will also discuss the surgical options and what to expect long term following a Hip or Knee Replacement. Dr. Hull specializes in adult reconstruction of the hip and knee which includes treatment of hip and knee problems arising from arthritis and other inflammatory conditions, injuries and trauma. To read his complete bio click: Dr. Jason Hull Bio.
Running Time (1 hr., 28 mins.)
- 11/29/2012: Surviving the Holidays November Continuation Lecture was Chock Full of Healthy Holiday Eating Tips and Advice; presented by ZG Trainer, RN and Nutrition Coach, Caroline Pascual. If you missed it, no worries. Will be available for viewing on our website soon.
Running Time (46 mins.)
- 10/25/2012: Dealing With Loss by Donna Grile, ZG's very own member and licensed professional counselor
speaking on grief, recovery and the benefits of good nutrition and exercise as you heal. With 25 years of professional counseling experience, Donna developed outpatient substance abuse treatment programs and inpatient dual diagnosis treatment programs, specializing in addiction and depression. She is currently the co-founder and president of New Life Journey in Mechanicsville, which provides structured outpatient substance abuse treatment programs, early intervention services, anger management groups, a "Batterers" intervention program and individual, couples and family counseling for a variety of issues. (Donna may be assisted by ZG Member Marsha Rettig, who co-leads a GriefShare support group in Hanover).
Running Time (1hr. 19 mins. 33 secs.)
- 9/27/2012: Injury Prevention During Exercise by Dr. Terry Whipple of American Self. Dr. Whipple is Director of Orthopaedics and Fitness at American Self. He is an internationally renowned and widely published orthopaedic surgeon who has practice in Richmond since 1979. Dr. Whipple has been a member of the Board of Editors of six professional journals, and has edited and authored four orthopaedic textbooks. He is a member of twenty-five professional organizations and holds thirteen patents on surgical instruments and implants. He has practiced in Richmond since 1979. See his full bio here.
Running Time (1hr. 13 mins. 34 secs.)
- 6/21/2012: Stress & You: Understanding Stress & How to Cope. by Dr. Jeffrey Graves of PartnerMD. Dr. Graves is a Fellow of The American College of Physicians and is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in Internal Medicine and Geriatric Medicine. He is licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia and the state of West Virginia. Prior to joining PartnerMD, Dr. Graves practiced at The Greenbrier Clinic for more than ten years, where he performed more than 5,000 executive physicals.
Running Time (34 mins. 18 secs.)
- 5/25/2012: From the Critical to the Cosmetic: A Look at Peripheral Vascular Conditions and Treatments. by Dr. Malcolm Sydnor, Assistant Professor, Radiology and Surgery Director, Vascular Interventional Radiology Associate Director, MCV/VCU, Dr. Sydnor, an American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers-registered physician in vascular interpretation, started VCU Vein Care in 2005 and has since successfully treated hundreds of patients with venous disease. See his full bio here.
Running Time (37 mins. 20 secs.)
- 3/22/2012: Shouldering Your Pain: Understanding and Treating Common Shoulder Problems. by Dr. Shannon Wolfe, Sports Medicine Specialist of Tuckahoe Orthopedics, speaking on shoulder pain.See his full bio here.
Running Time (1hr 13 mins.)
- 2/28/2012: Hypertension by Dr. Sunil K. Sinha, An informative lecture on causes, risk factors, treatment options, and complications. Dr. Sunil Sinha is the Chief Medical Officer for both Memorial Regional Medical Center and Richmond Community Hospital. He is board certified in Internal Medicine. In addition, he is a member of the ZG KEY Program and continues his own personal journey of good health.r of the ZG KEY Program and continues his own personal journey of good health. See his full bio here.
Running Time (1hr 16 mins., 02 sec.)
- 1/26/2012: VO2 and You by ZG's own Ryan Beck, who holds a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science from Virginia Commonwealth University, is one of ZG's fitness directors, and is a certified Health Fitness Specialist through the American College of Sports Medicine. He'll detail the different training zones to accomplish the following: Increase Cardio-Respiratory Health, Improve Energy Levels, Lose Weight, Improve Metabolism. See his full bio here.
Running Time (44 mins., 59 sec.)
- 12/15/2011: Staying
Active with Arthritis, management options for arthritis of the hip and knee - conservative & less
invasive options. By. Fred McGlynn, MD, is a member of the Joint Reconstruction team at
Tuckahoe Orthopaedics. He specializes in joint replacement surgery of the knee, hip and shoulder.
See his full bio here.
Running Time (54 mins., 31 sec.)
- 11/10/2011: Breast Cancer
detection, current treatments and effect of exercise and nutrition on mitigating side
effects By. Judith Chin, MD, of Radiation Oncology Associates.
See her full
Running Time (65 mins., 59 sec.)
- 10/20/2011: Hypothyroidism
By. Leon Spiers, MD, of PartnerMD. See this lecture flyer. See his full
Running Time (48 mins., 36 sec.)
- 9/22/2011: Keeping You Active: Evaluation & Treatment of Common Knee
Conditions By. William Beach, MD, Dr. Beach is a board certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
with Tuckahoe Orthopaedic Associates. See his full bio here.
Running Time (69 mins., 39 sec.)
- 8/18/2011: Obesity:
The Expanding Epidemic By. Carolyn Burns, MD, FACC See her
full bio here.
Running Time (53 mins., 2 sec.)
- 7/21/2011: Got
Pain? Join Dr. Tracey Adler for a discussion on the physiology and cause of chronic
musculoskeletal pain and different treatment options including Trigger Point Dry Needling. Trigger
Point Dry Needling and other modalities through Physical Therapy can sometimes be an effective
treatment, without the use of medication, for Low Back Pain, Headaches, Jaw Pain, Shoulder Pain,
and any Chronic Pain that is related to muscular problems. See her full bio here.
Running Time (41 mins., 11 sec.)
- 6/16/2011: Evaluation, Treatment and Prevention of Shoulder Injuries Dr. Paul
Caldwell, Sports Medicine, from Tuckahoe Orthopaedics. See his full bio here.
- 5/19/2011: Lions,
Tigers and Bunions, Oh My! by Dr. James Shadbolt, DPM, FACFAS.
- 5/5/2011: A Review
of Glycemic Index/ Fueling for Training by Sarah Brabrand, RNP, CDE, MSN, FNP of ZG Key
Medical. Followed by, Overtraining leads to
Underachieving by Morgen Hellams, RN, ACSM Personal Trainer, Nutrition Specialist certification
through AASDN, of Zacharias Ganey Health Institute. Read Morgan's bio.
Running Time (1 hr., 7 mins., 1 sec.)
- 4/28/2011: Snap, Crackle and Pop - Healthy aging for your muscles, bones and
joints by Jennifer Ferguson, MD, Internal Medicine, of PartnerMD. And, Overtraining leads to Underachieving by Morgen Hellams, RN,
ACSM Personal Trainer, Nutrition Specialist certification through AASDN, of Zacharias Ganey Health
Running Time (24 mins., 3 sec.)
- 3/29/2011: Superfoods by Dr. Madge
Zacharias (ZG) and Vitamins and
Supplements: Facts and Myths by Dr. Spiers (Partner MD)
Running Time (31
mins., 16 sec.)
- 3/24/2011: An Overview of Seasonal Allergies, Asthma and Food Allergies by ZG
Member & Physician, Elaine Turner, MD, FACP, FAAAAI (Fellow of the American Academy of Asthma,
Allergy and Immunology).
Please see more information about this lecture and Dr. Turner's
Running Time (1 hr., 10 mins., 33 sec.)
2011: Healthy Eating Tips for the Diabetic or Pre-Diabetic by Sarah Brabrand, Nurse
Practitioner & Diabetic Educator, of Zacharias Ganey Health Institute.
Running Time (29
mins., 29 sec.)
Early Detection of Cardiovascular Disease by Dr. Charles Zacharias, Jr.
Running Time (59 mins., 27 sec.)
Allergies and their Connection to Exercise and Diet by Dr. William Hark, of Richmond Allergy & Asthma Specialists.
Running Time (1hr., 7 mins., 36 sec.)
Common Back issues and Managing Pain through Exercise by Dr. Tammy Spring, Local Rheumatologist.
Running Time (26 mins., 59 sec.)